Souper Green Broth
I LOVE THIS SOUP. Could very easily eat it til the cows come home . . . at they will because you're not going to be eating them with this recipe.
As with most of my recipes, this guy is very flexible. If its green, it goes in. Simple as. Nourishment in the easiest possible way thats also a tasty bomb. This also freezes really well so make a big ol batch and pop some in a few Tupperware boxes and save for a lazy day. Not a spenny one either - I used to make this a bunch at uni when I couldn't really be bothered to cook multiple evenings.
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 courgettes
- Half a head broccoli, including the stalk, roughly chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup soya/edamame beans (I buy mine frozen)
- 2-3 handfuls of leafy greens (kale, cavelo nero, spinach, chard)
- 1/2 cup quinoa/bulgar wheat/ farro/pearl barley
- 6 cups water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp dried rosemary or mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over a high heat. Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes, until it becomes fragrant, then add the onion.
2. When the onion becomes translucent add the courgette and pepper and turn the heat down to medium.
3. After 5 minutes when the courgette starts to colour, add the broccoli and soya/edamame beans. At this point put the lid on the sauce pan to allow the veggies to sweat for 5 or so minutes.
4. After the veggies have sweated, add the water, stock cube and seasonings. Stir thoroughly and bring to a boil.
5. Then add the grains and stir thoroughly again. Put the lid on the pan and reduce the heat to low to cook for a further 20 minutes or until the grains have cooked.
6. Finally add the leafy greens, stir through and allow them to wilt for a few minutes then serve.