Ooooosh, this is one that you've gotta serve yourself then put it in the fridge (for next day leftovers hell to the yeah!) because otherwise you'll sit there, as I have many a time, and just go for a spoon to saucepan situation after your bowl is empty. Good idea - its super tasty and jam packed full of alllll the good things. Bad idea - this thing is made of lentils Honey! You're gonna be full AF and potentially a gassy little lassie.
Still doesn't stop me though ….
- 2 cups chana dhal
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp each of
- 1tbsp curry powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 3 handfuls chopped and peeled carrots/butternut squash/(sweet) potato/parsnip
Optional: add spinach/kale
1. In a large pot combine all the ingredients apart from the tomatoes and coconut milk
2. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and add the tomatoes and coconut milk
3. Cook for at least an hour, stirring every 10 mins or so until the mixture becomes thick and the vegetables are soft
4. 5 mins before serving add the greens if you are and remove the bay leaves
This dhal is great served with rice if you're feeling hungry or on a bed of spinach or any other greens if you're after a slightly lighter meal!